Mar 29, 2016

Yummy Homemade Granola

Granola...mmm! 



I'm not much of a breakfast person but I try to eat a little something every morning. My quick, go-to breakfast has been honey vanilla greek yogurt with granola or fruit.

Between the two of us, Nate and I eat a lot of granola! I have been interested in making my own granola for quite awhile and experimenting with different ingredients.

This granola smelled like cookies baking while in the oven and it did not disappoint, so delicious!


Homemade Granola Recipe

4 cups old fashioned oats
1 pinch of salt
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup raisins 
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine oats, salt, cinnamon, almonds, pecans, and raisins in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
In a glass measuring cup, melt coconut oil. Add the brown sugar, honey, and vanilla to the oil and stir.*    
Pour some of the liquid into the oat mixture and mix well. Continue to stir and add the remaining liquid until evenly coated.

Spread evenly on a large baking sheet with sides. 

Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Stir granola every 8 minutes. Stir when you remove from oven for the last time. Let cool completely before storing in a clean, dry container. 

*I used coconut oil and my sugar did not dissolve into it but became a big blob floating in the oil. I chopped this up the best I could with my spoon and it did not affect the finished product!


This recipe is so forgiving! If your mixture is way too dry, add some more melted coconut oil, melted butter, or honey!


I plan on making this with dried apricots, pecans, and cinnamon next! The possibilities are endless with different combinations of fruit, nuts, seeds, and chocolate!


It was hardly cooled before a corner was missing from the pan! Yum!


I'm looking forward to breakfast tomorrow!

Who is going to make some granola?!

Megan 


No comments:

Post a Comment