Apr 19, 2016

Molasses Crinkles

These are some of my favorite cookies and one of the first I ever learned to bake! My favorite sweets to bake when I was little were poppy seed bread and molasses crinkles. (Check out my Poppy Seed Bread here). I loved using all of the tiny teaspoons and half teaspoons to measure out spices and extracts.


I also loved making these because I got to scoop the dough, roll it into a ball, and dip the top in sugar.



My house smelled so good while I was baking these! Aren't they adorable! I had so much fun taking pictures of these cute cookies!

These cookies are soft and chewy - my favorite kind! A nice, firm shell with a soft center.

Fresh from the oven! Puffed up gooey sweetness.


The cookies are so good straight out of the oven!


Molasses Crinkles are one of my grandpa's favorite cookies but he likes his on the hard, crunchy side.

I always make sure to make a tray or two a little "overdone" for him.

Molasses Crinkles Recipe

1 1/2 cups soft shortening
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 eggs 
1/2 cup molasses
4 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt 
granulated sugar for dipping

Mix thoroughly shortening, brown sugar, eggs, and molasses with an electric beater. 

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. 

Slowly mix dry ingredients into the shortening mixture.

Chill dough.

Using a small cookie scoop, scoop a portion of dough out. Roll into a ball and dip the top in sugar. 

Place cookies sugared-side up on a cookie sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes in a 350 degree F oven. 

Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Makes about 6 dozen cookies. Note: do not over-bake, as these are a soft, chewy cookie.
These freeze well. 

Recipe from The Illinois Mennonite Relief Sale Recipe book, 1984. 


Great with coffee or milk! :)



Perfect! These make great gifts because it makes so many! I like to stick a couple in the freezer for later too!

Who is ready to bake?

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment