May 24, 2016

Poppy Seed Bread and Peonies

We've had some beautiful days lately. The flowers are starting to bloom and the days are beginning to warm up. I love that it's still cool enough outside to open the door and windows while I work in the kitchen. If the weather can't brighten up your day this delicious poppy seed bread sure will!



I'm loving the peonies in our yard. We have a really unique peony- I've never seen one like it before.


This is one of my FAVORITE breads ever. My mom made this poppy seed bread while I was growing up and I have many memories of helping her measure out the extracts and flavorings. This is one of the first recipes I learned to bake.

I make this recipe in my 5 quart Kitchen Aid mixer and always double the recipe when I make it. I put all of the ingredients in my mixer in the order listed and leave the mixer on stir, or your lowest notch, the whole time. It mixes it really well and I've found that if you start and stop the mixer, the jerk of the machine starting will slosh your precious batter out! So because of that, I let mine mix nice and slow while I add the ingredients and it doesn't affect the recipe!


The little loaves make great gifts! Who doesn't love a little loaf of sweet bread??


This bread is covered in a sweet, orange juice glaze = so good!


The only poppy seed bread recipe I will ever make. Seriously, it's that good! Thanks to my long time friends, the Troyer Family, for letting me share this recipe!

Poppy Seed Bread Recipe

3 cups flour
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/8 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 tsp. butter flavoring

Combine all of the ingredients for the bread and mix well, 1-2 minutes, with an electric mixer. Pour into 6 greased mini loaf pans or 2 regular size bread pans. 

Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then glaze.

Glaze:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring

Mix all glaze ingredients well. Pour over warm bread while still in pans.

Recipe doubles well. Bread freezes well. Store in an airtight container.



I'm having an impromptu party in my kitchen! Flowers, food, and bread! :)


Who is going to make some of this sweet bread?
What's your favorite bread? Comment below! 

Megan


2 comments:

  1. Yum! This is my favorite bread! Makes me hungry just looking at it! Love your pictures Megan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it - this bread is so good! Thanks, I really enjoy taking the photos. :)

      Delete